Victims Assistance Unit


The Paulding County Municipal Court's Victims Assistance Unit's mission is to assist persons who have been victimized by crime in Paulding County. The Victims Assistance Unit will carry-out the special needs of the crime victims/survivors and their right to be treated with compassion, respect and dignity.

The Victims Assistance Unit is a crisis intervention 24/7 for rape victims and for domestic violence where the victim is seeking shelter. The Unit will provide the victim with transportation, clothing and information pertaining to court procedures. For more information on The Victims Assistance Unit, click on the links below.

Information for Victims
Other Victim Rights
Restitution Program
Definition of Terms
State & Federal Services

Information for Crime Victims

Victims of crime should realize they are not helpless bystanders in the criminal justice system. Victims have specific rights from the time of the crime. If you have been a victim of a crime, you could be eligible to receive Victims Assistance services.

Required Notices if Requested By Victim:

A victim has a right to be notified of information regarding the case either orally or in writing. A letter including the name of the defendant, the offense and the case number will be sent to each victim. It is the responsibility of each victim to request notification, if desired, and to maintain a current address or phone number with the agency responsible for notification (Ohio Revised Code Section 2930.03C). If the victim is unable to receive notification, the victim has a right to select a representative to receive these notices on the victim's behalf, (Ohio Revised Code Section 2930.06(B)).

If you have any questions or are in need of any additional information regarding your rights, you should contact: Phone: 419-399-4476.

Other Victim's Rights

  • to Receive Current Information About the Criminal Investigation
  • to be Notified When the Offender is Arrested or Released Before Trial
  • to Reasonable Return of Property
  • to Compensation for Economic Losses Resulting from Crime
  • to Information From and Meaningful Discussions With the Prosecutor
  • to be Free from Intimidation
  • to Meaningful Participation During the Trial
  • to Make a Statement at Sentencing About the Impact of the Crime
  • to Participate in Criminal Proceedings Without Jeopardizing Employment Status
  • to Receive Notice if Violent Offender Escapes Custody Before Trial or Sentencing
  • to Receive Information After Sentencing
  • to Information and Input About Adult Defendant's Incarceration and Parole Status
  • to certain rights after being victimized by a Juvenile Offender (talk to the Victims Assistance Specialist regarding these rights)
  • to Request an Anti-Stalking Protection Order
  • to Special Rights of Victims of Sexual Abuse (talk to the Victims Assistance Specialist)
  • to Special Rights of Victims of Domestic Violence (talk to the Victims Assistance Specialist)
  • to Special Rights of Victims of Child Abuse (talk to the Victims Assistance Specialist)
  • to Offender's Movie or Book Profits
If you have any questions or are in need of any additional information regarding your rights, you should contact: Phone: 419-399-4476.

Restitution Program

The restitution program ensures that defendants are making restitution to their victims in a safe and accountable manner. The program establishes what losses were incurred and establishes a payment schedule with the defendant to ensure the restitution is made prior to the termination of probation.

The restitution program accepts payments from the defendants via cash, money order, debit card, MasterCard or VISA and forwards payments to the victims.

If you have any questions or are in need of any additional information regarding your rights, you should contact: Phone: 419-399-4476.

Definition of Terms

to find a defendant not guilty in a criminal trial.
the process by which the convicted person asks for a review of a conviction by a higher Court.
the initial court appearance of the accused, to inform the accused of the charges and to take a plea of guilty, not guilty, or no contest to the charge.
an amount of money determined by the Judge and posted with the Court Clerk as security to ensure the defendant's appearance in Court at a specific time.
formal accusation of having committed a criminal offense.
Civil Action
a lawsuit to enforce private rights, to obtain compensation for a violation of those rights, or to recover monetary damages. A civil action is brought directly by the person who is complaining, usually with the help of a private attorney. Civil actions are all types of actions that are not criminal proceedings.
1) (criminal) Formal written charge alleging that a person has committed a criminal offense.
2) (civil) Initial document entered by the plaintiff that states the claims against the defendant.
an allowance for expenses in prosecuting or defending a case in Court, not including attorney fees.
the person who is being prosecuted.
any form of proof legally presented at a trial, usually through witnesses, records or documents.
Grand Jury
a group of persons whose duty is to receive complaints and accusations in criminal cases, hear the prosecutor's evidence and decide whether that evidence is sufficient to issue an indictment.
an in-court proceeding before a Judge, generally open to the public.
the official decision of the Court; the final decision of the Court resolving legal questions, which can involve a finding of guilty or acquittal of the accused and the severity of the sentence.
Hung Jury
a jury whose members cannot agree on a verdict.
Mental Distress
any mental illness or condition that involves some temporary substantial incapacity or mental illness or condition that would normally require psychiatric treatment. Mental distress is an element of the menacing by stalking crime.
an offense less serious than a felony with a maximum punishment of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.
erroneous or invalid trial. Usually declared because of prejudicial error in the proceedings or when there was a hung jury. The defendant can face trial again after a mistrial.
an oral or written request made to a Court or Judge for the purpose of obtaining a ruling or order directing some act to be done.
a person accused of committing a criminal or delinquent act. The offender becomes known as the defendant after official criminal charges are filed with a Court. The offender becomes known as an alleged juvenile offender after delinquency charges are filed in juvenile court.
a defendant's official statement of "guilty" "not guilty" or "no contest" to the charges. If the defendant enters a "guilty" or "no contest" plea, there will be no need for a trial.
Pre-sentence Investigation
investigation of the relevant background of a convicted offender, usually conducted by a probation officer and given to the Judge for use during sentencing. An impact statement by the victim is usually incorporated into this report.
a meeting, before trial, between the prosecutor and the defense attorney to discuss the merits of the case, exchange information about witnesses and attempt to negotiate an appropriate resolution of the case. Many cases are finalized at pre-trial.
a period during which the defendant's jail time or fine is suspended. During this time, the defendant is under Court supervision and must obey certain rules. If the defendant breaks any of these rules while on probation, the Court can then order him or her to serve the jail time.
an order by a Court that requires the offender to pay for monetary loss, damage or injury.
a written order, issued by a Judge, directing an officer to search a specified house or other place for evidence.
the judgment of a Court concerning the offender's punishment, ranging from death, imprisonment, or fine to probation, restitution and community service.
a written command to appear at a certain time to give testimony or produce documentary evidence. Failure to comply with the subpoena can lead to an arrest or contempt of Court proceeding.
document or writ directing the Sheriff or other officer to give notice that an action has been commenced against a person in Court and that an appearance is required by a certain day, to answer the complaint.
any statement made by a witness under oath in a legal proceeding.
formal decision made by a Judge or jury.
a person who has suffered an injury resulting from the commission of a crime or delinquent act.
Victim Impact Statement
a written or oral statement regarding the impact of the crime on the victim – including the financial, physical and emotional consequences.
If you have any questions or are in need of any additional information regarding your rights, you should contact: Phone: 419-399-4476.

State & Federal Services

Ohio Attorney General
Mike DeWine

30 East Broad Street, 14th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215
(800) 282-0515 Help Center

Action Ohio Coalition for Battered Women

5900 Roche Dr. #445
Columbus, OH 43229
(614) 825-0551

FBI Victim Specialist

500 S. Front St., Ste. 1050
Columbus, OH 43215

Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)

5900 Roche Dr., Ste. 250
Columbus, OH 43229
(800) 552-8641
(614) 885-6233

Office of Criminal Justice Service
Family Violence Prevention Center

(888) 488-4842

Ohio Attorney General's Office
Consumer Protection Section

30 E. Broad St. 14th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215–3400
(800) 282-0515
(614) 466-8831

Ohio Attorney General's Office Crime Victims Services Section
Ohio Victims of Crime Compensation Program

150 East Gay Street 25th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215-3400
(800) 582-2877
(614) 466-5610

Office of Victims Services
Ohio Department of Youth Services (DYS)

51 N. High St., Third Floor
Columbus, OH 43215
(800) 872-3132

Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence

526 Superior Avenue #1400
Cleveland, OH 44114
(888) 886-8388
(216) 658-1381 ext. 123

Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction

100 South High Street
Hillsboro, OH 45133
(888) 842-8464 Victim Line
(937) 393-7235

Ohio Domestic Violence Network

4807 Evanswood Drive Suite 201
Columbus, OH 43229
(800) 934-9840
(614) 781-9651

Ohio Court Appointed Special Guardian/
Guardian Ad Litem (CASA/GAL) Association

261 East Livingston Avenue B
Columbus, OH 43215
(800) 891-6446
(614) 224-2272

Ohio Department of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disability (MRDD)
Major Unusual Incident (MUI) Investigation

1601 W. Broad Street
Columbus, OH 43222-1055
(800) 617-6733
(614) 466-6670 (to report fraud)

Ohio Prosecuting Attorney's Association

196 East State Street, Suite 200
Columbus, OH 43215

Services to crime victims provided by this program have been funded in part by the Victims of Crime Act and the State Victims Assistance Act.

If you have any questions or are in need of any additional information regarding your rights, you should contact: Phone: 419-399-4476.